Don't think it's going to happen to you? We hope it doesn't, but flood insurance is a smart idea no matter where you live.
Flood insurance is a smart idea no matter where you live. Anywhere it rains, it can flood. Floods are the most common natural disaster, and have accounted for more than $2.7 billion in losses since 2001. We can help you choose the coverages you want to protect your home.
We get it.
We aren't the only company offering flood insurance. That's why we're committed to doing a better job than the competition. It all starts with your policy. If you choose to purchase your National Flood Insurance Program policy through Foremost, you'll have a professional agent helping you make sure that your home and your belongings have the coverage you want in the event of a flood. A Western Star agent can talk you through the details. Act now, because most flood policies have a 30-day waiting period before flood coverage goes into effect.
Flood Insurance Coverage Options:
Low- to moderate-risk areas
Most buildings and their contents in low- to moderate-risk areas are eligible for a low-cost Preferred Risk policy. A Preferred Risk policy offers two types of coverage: building and contents combined or contents-only. Rates start as low as $49 per year for contents and $129 for building plus contents coverage.
If you live in a low- to moderate-risk area and you don't qualify for a Preferred Risk policy due to multiple flood losses on your property, a Standard Risk policy is available.
Customers in high-risk areas can purchase Standard Risk coverage for the building only, contents only or for both the building and contents.
Based on the value of your building and its contents, coverage is available up to the following maximum limits of the National Flood Insurance Program:
If you need coverage beyond these amounts, you may be eligible for a separate Excess Flood policy. Call Western Star to learn more about the Flood insurance program.
Flood insurance policies cover direct physical loss by or from flood to your building and personal property. The following is an overview of items that would be eligible for coverage subject to the coverage purchased.
Building Property coverage includes:
- The building and its foundation
- Electrical and plumbing systems
- Central air conditioning equipment, furnaces, and water heaters
- Refrigerators, stoves and built-in appliances such as dishwashers
- Permanently installed carpeting over unfinished flooring
- Permanently installed paneling, wallboard, bookcases, and cabinets
- Window blinds
- Detached garages (up to 10% of Building Property coverage)
Personal Property (contents) coverage includes:
- Personal belongings, such as clothing, furniture, and electronic equipment
- Portable air conditioners
- Portable microwave ovens and portable dishwashers
- Carpets not permanently installed over unfinished flooring
- Washers and dryers
- Freezers and the food in them
- Certain valuable items such as original artwork and furs (up to $2,500)
- Replacement cost coverage is not available for personal property
- Debris removal at federal minimum wage (not subject to deductible)
- Loss avoidance measures ($1,000 limit, no deductible)
- Increased Cost of Compliance—flood proofing, relocation, elevation and demolition (subject to limitations and qualifying criteria)
Coverage for basements and property in them is limited regardless of flood risk. Let us help you in determining your flood risk and the type of flood coverage you want to purchase.
If your community participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), flood insurance is available for single family residences, condominium owners and associations, renters, mobile and manufactured homes, commercial structures and other residential structures regardless of your flood risk.
Devastating floods can occur throughout the United States anytime of the year. Don't think you need flood insurance? Talk to us to get informed about flood insurance through Foremost and check out these statistics, you may be surprised.
- You don't have to live by water to be at risk. Anywhere it rains, it can flood. Approximately 25-30% of all flood claims occur in low- to moderate-risk areas.
- Most Homeowners insurance policies do not cover flood damage—federal flood insurance does. Flood insurance also covers damage from mud flow, dirt and debris resulting from moving water.
- A home in a high-risk area has a one in four chance of being damaged by a flood during the course of a 30-year mortgage.
- In order to receive federal assistance in the event of a flood, the President of the United States of America must declare the flood area a federal disaster. Less than 50% of floods that occur in the U.S. are classified as federal disasters.
- The most common form of Federal disaster assistance is a loan that must be repaid with interest.
- Flood insurance is affordable. Flood damage is not. In 2007 alone, flood insurance claims in the United States were nearly $600 million, with an average claim of $33,356. Compare this to the average annual flood premium of $540.
Keep in mind that higher deductibles can help lower the cost of your premium.
Get a Quote
You can count on the experienced, friendly staff at Western Star Insurance to help you with your insurance needs. We're looking forward to serving you. Request a no-obligation estimate.
Get a quote by phone
Please call us toll-free at 1-800-545-8608.
Our hours are:
Monday–Friday, 8am to 8pm, EST
Get a quote by email
Prefer to contact us by email? Send us your questions or information.
Availability: Flood insurance is available in all 50 states, as long as your community participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), except in Coastal Barrier Resources System (CBRS) areas. Ask us if your community participates.
About the coverages described on this site: Your insurance contract is contained only in your policy, not in this website. Your insurance protection may vary from the coverages described here, depending on the standard coverages included in your policy and the optional coverages you purchase.
*Coverage may not be available in all areas.
What we insure
Road and Travel
- Motor Home
- Travel Trailer
- Luxury Motor Coach
- Neighborhood Electric Vehicle